Anyone know how Jackie Kramer roots her hair so sparse?

I love the look of the sparsely rooted hair that lays flat and sort of looks like its in a line.
When i try to cut mine real short it won’t lay flat like that.

4 Likes

Photos?
I’m interested in knowing as well

Try a razor blade comb…Ive bought one recently and it works great. I just used it on my Liam’s hair today and her hair is laying so much better now and it is long. I used it on my Levi as well and his hair, much shorter, lays far better than other babies Ive rooted. I also wash all my babies hair after its glued inside the head, and I put a bit of leave in conditioner on it.

2 Likes

I recently discovered that if I leave a hat on a doll’s head for a few days it trains hair to lay flat that otherwise sticks up. I’ve heard some ladies spray the head with water and then bake the head to style the hair to lay flat. It also depends on the type of hair you are using. The thinner the hair the flatter it will lay. For example, kid mohair will lay flatter than adult mohair naturally. Another thing people do to achieve that look it to do combi hair. I’m not sure how Jaqueline Kramer acheives her amazing hair, but Bountiful Baby does sell the mohair she uses. It’s very expensive (Premium HP-Babylocks, not the Ruby Red) but I’ve heard good things about it.

1 Like

I use HP Babylocks…its the best hair I’ve used. It doesn’t tangle and it does lay flat. I used it on several of my babies. I just used the razor comb on my Liam before I washed and conditioned her hair and she looks even better than this picture.

9 Likes

All her recent dolls are alpaca instead of mohair. So fine when mono rooted.

5 Likes

Beautiful work! We used that mohair in the class Jackie taught at ROSE. Soft and straight. I am going to have to try a razor comb again.

2 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile: I just bought my razor comb a couple weeks ago, I really like it.

1 Like

How do you use it? I didn’t have much luck with mine. Do you comb the hair with it?

2 Likes

I have a razor comb, but have no idea how to use it.

2 Likes

Same here, how do you use that darned comb lol

3 Likes

I have that comb too never used it!

2 Likes

Yes, especially on the ends and where the thicker parts are. Don’t worry it only takes a bit of hair at a time.

1 Like

Slumberland yearling is my favorite mohair to use so it could be from using yearling instead of kid.
My rooted hair usually looks nice if its not cut super short.
I had forgotten the hat trick lol a knee nylon works well too.
I can’t afford the expensive Mohair she uses at the moment, but I would love to try it.

Thanks for all the help.

2 Likes

How to use a razor comb. I have one too but never used it yet.

3 Likes

Hope that helps a bit.

1 Like

Thanks @crystal_s I bookmarked it!

1 Like

I stop using a razor comb because it start pulling my doll’s hair out and had to go back to re root those areas.

You dont want to use a razor comb until you glue the hair and even then you need to be gentle with it, also its not for every baby or every style of hair :wink:

1 Like

She looks fantastic. I have to root mine and I’m dreading it. It’s a BIG head.

1 Like