Be careful with shipping charges

I listed a baby on reborns.com and set my international shipping charge at $45. BIG mistake and I should have known better. The lady who bought my baby lives in the Australian outback. It cost $102.95 to ship the box! She got a deal, to say the least, but its my fault because I set the shipping charge. Just wanted to remind y’all to check rates carefully before you set them. :confounded:

11 Likes

That was a rough way to learn. Sorry to hear that.

2 Likes

That is terrible !!!

1 Like

Ouch.
I normally only put US. Then if they contact me I look up the shipping to their area. Then add that in to my listing.

It cost $72 last year to Norway ( I think)

5 Likes

I’ve been shipping internationally for years and have never paid more than $80, and that was to Egypt. Usually, it is $45-$60, so I was shocked when they told me how much it would be. I shipped three babies to Tasmania a couple years ago and it was just over $125 for all of them. I asked them why it cost so much and they said it was because it is in a remote area that is difficult to reach.

4 Likes

I guess I could, but I won’t. Its not her fault that I didn’t check rates before listing the price. I will just consider it a cost of doing business and be more careful in the future.

11 Likes

I only have US price set so people have to contact me before shipping internationally. I have shipped to Australia twice now and it has cost around $90 each time.

Sorry to hear that you got stuck with all the extra shipping charges. :pensive:

3 Likes

It’s sad that international shipping is so darn expensive.

2 Likes

Unless something changed very recently, that is NOT true, the shipping from O/S is the same for whole of Australia, and about $100 is right; has been for a while. It nowadays cost $50 -$60 for kit only from some sellers. I have been searching for swimsuits and all those I liked in the USA were about $50 shipping! That is something that weighs 1/2 pound and can be sent in plastic bag. Australia is very far from everywhere.

Have you looked at the postal services site? When you enter the weight they should tell you exactly what it will cost.

2 Likes

I set my shipping costs but now I am wondering if I shouldn’t just say Europe only (Im in France) and then figure out the price. My husband figured out the prices and as long as the box is under 5 kilos going to the US, and a few other places is around 54 dollars but once the package goes over 5 kilos the price doubles so Ill have to be careful there as well.

3 Likes

All countries have website for their International Postal Services with shipping prices for various services. Even China and India have such info in English, so you can check when buying something from there.

2 Likes

Ive just decided to leave the costs the way we have them now. Ill change them corresponding to the weight of the babies because I have some larger babies that Im painting now. Im pretty happy with reborns.com already :slight_smile:

Canada…I shipped a small baby and it cost 92.00

3 Likes

I can only go by what the lady at the post office said. Maybe she just made it up. I don’t know. :flushed:

The box I shipped weighed 11.5 pounds, which is roughly 5.2 kilos, so maybe it is the same here in the US. I’ll know next time to lighten the load a bit. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

I think its worth it to have a scale in your home so you can check before taking it to the post office :wink:

2 Likes