Big kits

I know that some people here are into big kits. I am have a toddler and child size to try, but need to figure out a few things before I even attempt this.

1. Tools. I can’t imagine using the same little wedges that I use on the tiny ones. What’s best? Kitchen sponge and large makeup brushes?
  2. Where to dry these. My tiny little bottle rack obviously won’t work.
  3. How to work on them period. As of now, I shove a chopstick in the parts to steady them for painting. How do you hold the pieces while working?
4 Likes

I made a tibby and used all of the same tools , rack, etc. I don’t know how big your kit is but she is 31".

1 Like

I think one of the kits is like 42 inches or something like that. She’s about the size of a 5 or 6 year old.

Are you using ghsp? You probably need two extender rings. Thats what i do to bake.

2 Likes

Oh wow That is big. I have tinny kit store away half done because I didn t like working on her.

1 Like

Oh my - I don’t think she would fit then. :frowning: my tibby barely fit in my oven but I liked the bigger baby. She was more fun to me.

1 Like

That’s my problem… I bought an Emilia kit to do as a portrait kit for my granddaughter and it is a straight legged kit… I was so sad because I use ghsp and her legs are too long to fit inside of my new wave… I’m still bummed out because I don’t know how I will paint her legs.

1 Like

I use air dry, so no problem there… just the laundry list of other problems. Lol

What about making a pvc rack… and using dowel rods in the opening when painting the parts?
As for tools I would do the same ones and just go in sections. But I do not use air dry so I am not sure how long you have etc…

1 Like

Not long at all. Hahaaa! Air dry dries so fast even with adding in slow dry, that you have to work really quickly… I’m kind of worried about blotchy patches. If I totally mess up a kit this expensive, I will cry. Lol

Good idea on rigging up a rack- thanks! And idea just popped in my head to turn over a cheap folding chair.

1 Like

I’ll admit that when im reborning i make a SERIOUS MESS! LOL!
I just always lay my doll parts on a white or light colored cloth (dark colors or really bright ones might leak on the kit) while the layers dry and Ive never had a problem!

I used to wear latex hospital gloves but found that they just got in the way and were annoying. I just wash my hands with dawn and hold around the rim and parts i haven’t painted yet (like i’ll hold around the thigh while i paint the foot then swap)

as far as tools and wedges, well I’ve always used the same for all size dolls Ive made.

happy chubby baby reborning! lol

4 Likes

Maybe I’ll start with the smaller and less expensive of the two (Gabriela Swialkowski) and hope for the best. Hahaaa! It will be a long process working during the nap times of my toddler, but I need something to do while I wait for paint to dry on others. Oops, my ADHD is showing. :blush:

2 Likes

I make large dolls all the time.
I use the same tools as the smaller kits. But I use a full sized home oven.
They won’t fit in a nu-wave.

Here are some of my big girls.

17 Likes

Maybe try some long cooking utensils to shove in the end for sturdy holding. As far as a rack, girl I make do :blush: You can also make a rack using pvc pipe and adjust it according to your kit… just a thought :smirk:

2 Likes

Love your big girls, @taylorsgirl!!! They are beautiful.

Are they easier than the small kits or harder? I’m wondering if they wouldn’t be a bit easier in a way… if I want to know how something is supposed to look, I can look at myself or my kids. Plus I don’t see well, so a giant kit might help. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The painting isn’t any different than a baby sculpt. What makes the bigger ones harder is rooting! There have been several times when I’ve been rooting a giant head and I had to resist the urge to throw it out the window. LOL!
Those heads, are never ending!

7 Likes

I bet! I don’t think I have the patience to even paint a big sculpt! Kudos to all you big sculpt artists!!!

2 Likes

You’re brave, @taylorsgirl! I was not even thinking about rooting- that head would end up being chucked out of the window. :smile: I’m not selling this or anything else, so I was planning on getting a nice wig done or making one myself.

Please tell me that those are not all rooted, @taylorsgirl.

Not all…LOL
These are some of the big kits that I made, that ARE rooted…

13 Likes