Cameras in 2018

I have always taking pictures of my kids so in 2004 new on the market was Nikon D70, my first expensive digital camera. It has been a good camera but I never really learned to use it correctly. It was 6 megapixel. Even with my lack of knowledge and automatic settings it made good outside pictures. This summer on our vacation something happened and I lost over 500 pictures I had made. I was so upset. I researched the problem and decided it was time to say goodbye. What did I do but buy a used D70S off Ebay so I could use my lens. It works great but I am never pleased with my pictures of my babies. I took the plunge the other day and ordered a Nikon D7200. It has 24 megapixel and all kinds of things on it. It is suppose to be here tomorrow and I can’t wait. I have been watching videos on the internet and am determined to learn how to use this camera. When I look at pictures alot of the ladies on here have made of their babies, I think why can’t I do that. What a talent alot of you have. I have been reading the past discussions on cameras on this forum today. I am just so excited and can’t wait until UPS comes tomorrow. I was wondering if any of you have suggestions of where I can learn on the internet, books that have helped you, just anything. I know that playing with it will help and that is something I have always been afraid to do. Anyway, I sure would love any suggestions you might have.

I can totally feel what you feel! I would be so excited I would probably not sleep much! Photography has long been one of my hobbies. I have not dabbled in it much since the older grand daughters grew up. Please do jump on in and don’t be afraid to check it out thoroughly! You will probably never really use some of its capabilities, but you will at least know the ones you will need to use, and how to use them. Please keep us updated! I am very interested.

So exciting!! I got a Nikon D3100 a few months ago and still don’t know all the settings!

Join this group on FB. It’s a photography tutoring group by Izzy Zhao. It’s just started up about Nov 11 and Izzy will be posting tutorials about taking pictures.

Here’s the link: Redirecting...

3 Likes

Thank you I just joined.

It’s not so much the camera body as it is the lens you are using. I mean, of course mega pixels, crop or full sensor etc, matters. I use a 50mm lens exclusively. So does Jen Lynn from creative newborns. My 50mm doesn’t leave my camera and I shoot people, puppies, dolls, products I make and scenes. It works for everything for me. My advice it to shoot in auto for a while and get the very best 50mm Nikon lens you can afford. Luckily that’s a cheap lens in 1.8f but the 1.4 is even better.

Thank you, I have been looking at them and wondering about the difference because of the difference in the price. Makes sense that the more expensive one would be the best one.

1 Like

Yesterday, I anxiously awaited UPS for my camera. He finally came in the afternoon. They sent me the wrong camera. I was so upset. I wanted it before Thanksgiving because my son is coming in and he knows so much about photography. I called them. They were sorry or so they said and the only help they could offer me was to send me a label to mail it back. Said it would take a week for me to get the label. I could not just order another one. Oh and when I purchased it, it said there was only one left. After my purchase it was sold out. So where did my camera go. Somebody received a much nicer camera than I was sent. I started looking on the internet and really comparing prices with black Friday coming up. I found the same camera at Overstock.com that has two lens with it, a case, card and couple of other things for almost half the price. I did not think I could pass it up so I went ahead and order it. Avyona - I did order the cheaper of the two lens you suggested. With all that had happened I could not swing the other one. Thank you for suggesting it to me.