Different vinyls

I am painting using GHSP 3 different dolls and they all have different vinyls. Juliana’s head by Ping Lau is this weird hard rough vinyl that the paint dries so quick. It has no translucency once painted–looks painted. Ugh! Her limbs are the super soft rubbery ones that get shiny with one bake and not take paint so I am using Kenzie’s from BB. A dream to paint -like Realborn Darren which is vinyl number 2. The last one is Sofia Grace and she doesn’t want to take the paint. It just seams to smear around. I think I may have to prime her. I wish ALL the vinyl was the same. It would make painting so much easier. I am so frustrated!!

7 Likes

That definitely takes the fun out argh. And rooting that hard vinyl is not fun either.

2 Likes

That vinyl is really different… it is thin so rooting shouldn’t be too hard unless it doesn’t close around the hair and gets pulled out. I have done over 30 dolls and this is the first vinyl like this I have come across. Not a fan of the PuppenTrauma vinyl.

1 Like

It’s German vinyl!! I find it difficult to keep the paint nice and even on this vinyl AND it absorbs color seemingly.

3 Likes

Yes! It is like painting on paper rather than vinyl. And why are the limbs and head so different?!?

I stopped buying german kits for this reason. BB realborns have us spoiled.

3 Likes

Yes- I understand completely! I was taken in by Juliana’s grin even though I knew I would be using other limbs. A lot of money for a head. Too bad I don’t paint with air dry- the limbs are cute–chubby legs.

1 Like

I love German vinyl, it is nice and thick and great details… but I never used heat set paint, so maybe it is better with air dry??

4 Likes

Im painting a custom Raine by Ping Lau and Im having the same issues but I use Golden paints and not GHSP but it seems like no matter what I do to her she just looks the same! Its driving me nuts!

3 Likes

I think you are right. Air dry would work better for sure on the limbs. I was wondering if you used air dry since you do so many toddlers. Now I know!

2 Likes

I feel your pain. Least my doll is just for me

2 Likes

Im hoping I get somewhere soon. I use air dry but I do use really thin washes like one does with GHSP.

not all her kits are German vinyl… They usually state it in the description. I am sure that Tori wasn’t, and Cammi was a weird grey rubber color, never saw that before on any kit :frowning:

1 Like

Ellie sue

I wanted her but if I see german I pause.

Ahh, you and @DollyPardon make me want to try air dry. Lolol. I paint more biracial babies and to me, I struggle with that vinyl.

3 Likes

my dear friend only does AA dolls, and hates German vinyl… she has gifted me with painting two German toddler kits for me (for myself)… but she said they are a devil to work on, too

2 Likes

Ellie Sue is Spanish vinyl

1 Like

Cammi is one of my favorites. Was she hard to paint?

1 Like

Why do they still use German Vinyl if the artists don’t like it? Is there any reason for it?

1 Like