How well do you sell your painted hair dolls

Been thinking of painting my dolls hair but wonder how painted hair sells It has many advantages.How do yours sell?

1 Like

They are the only ones I do pretty much so they sell okay for me.

1 Like

They sell about the same as rooted for me.

1 Like

They don’t sell as well for me, but I guess I’m just bad at painting hair. :rofl:

2 Likes

They sell really good for me. In fact, I sell some dolls because of the painted hair. Some people are allergic to mohair, others just don’t want to bother with it. Funny thing is that when I first started collecting, I just had to have a baby with rooted hair. Now I do not like them at all. I prefer painted hair (if someone has the skills to paint it realistically) or bald.

5 Likes

Yes avoid the mohair problems .
I have a lady who has bought 5 dolls from me.
Last was 2 …A and B twins.
she didn’t want hair at all liked them bald She’s sort of rough on mohair as she handles her dolls all day every day and takes some with her every time she steps out the door each day so bald was really good for her .
Painted would be as well I’m sure
Thanks for the opinions Very interesting

3 Likes

I prefer painted hair on my babies that I collect, if it looks good. Amelia has painted hair and is one of my favorite babies I own.

9 Likes

I don’t root anymore because I am terrible at it and it takes so much time and it adds so much cost to the doll. A lot of people root and don’t charge for the hours and cost.

Most of my babies have painted hair. People don’t seem to mind. Combi hair seems to be a good compromise.

I have been trying to nail painted hair for a while, it isn’t easy! Every time I think “Yes I have it!” I stand back and say “Nope not yet”.

I envy those who just have it naturally Cierra paints amazing hair, one day when I grow up I want to paint hair like that!

These are photos of the last painted hair I did.

22 Likes

What about applied hair does it sell as well?

1 Like

I think you are doing a beautiful job! The one on the bottom is incredible, its 3D

Im still in the practice stage of hair painting. I actually like rooting but I know some people like painted hair so I want to be able to do that as well. The new brushes I got from MacPhersons work really well, I just need to practice more.

3 Likes

I don’t have any advice on applied hair, except that it needs to be done well. I’ve seen some prototype artists doing applied hair- some looks nice, and some looks awful…

5 Likes

One day when I grow up I want to paint hair like you !

4 Likes

It really depends how well the artist paints the hair.

1 Like

I hear ya! There is one that looks gross to me and no way I would want my name attached. The applied hair I did when rooting it first looked great. You couldn’t tell it was glued down

3 Likes

You are very nice but as you know it’s a process and hopefully the more you do it the better you get, I have not been doing it long but I am determined.

@Gabriell I think you paint the best hair. Your amazingly gifted :kiss:

1 Like

Gina, we need a tutorial!!! :wink::grin:

5 Likes

I agree!

1 Like

I promise to give one once I nail this hair thing, I have a long way to go.

2 Likes

I sold my first Prisma hair baby really quickly. I was surprised, honestly. I think they are nice for those that don’t want to fuss about hair - kids, people who handle them a lot, people who want the hair always perfectly in place.

My favorite doll to look at and pose has hair and I would not want her with painted hair because I like to style it different ways. My favorite doll to dress and hold is bald, but I wouldn’t mind her having very well-painted hair.

I guess it all comes down to how good a hair painter / drawer you are.

1 Like