Keeper reborns

I’ve seen a lot of posts about keepers. When you paint or buy your own, which features are important to you and why? I’m still trying to make my first and deciding between a more advanced reborn and a basic one. Meaning 3d skin, micro rooting and advanced techniques and something a bit more easier like painted or combi hair, veins and mottling etc. Help!

2 Likes

My keepers are portrait babies …my kids and my grandson. I still have Sharlamae to do as my second son, and Abigail for my daughter. Then I’ll be looking for my two daughters in law.

2 Likes

Just kits I like, when I can afford them. So none :rofl: I always end up selling them because I don’t get attached to them anymore

1 Like

No keepers for me. Not even the ones that look like my grandson Achilles. They all go to a new home. I’d rather have the money instead of dolls. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

14 Likes

Don’t ask me, I like over painted and Alternatives so . . .

5 Likes

I might end up selling mine at some point…if my youngest sons lets me, lol! He becomes so attached to my babies

2 Likes

My keepers are the ones I’ve gotten in swaps; I haven’t made one to keep for myself yet :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have a realborn Joseph that was painted by a prototype artist. I really do love that sculpt. He has combi hair and is so cute, but I have since learned that I don’t want to bother with mohair at all. The next one, which I will paint myself, will be Jenny asleep and will have painted hair.

4 Likes

The ones I keep are mostly bald, I just don’t like mohair.

2 Likes

I think for the first one it is best to go with one that is asleep, and maybe get a wig unless you are good at painting hair. I know most folks have a hard time learning to paint hair. But, then, everyone is different and some maybe pick it up right away. As far as keepers, all the ones I do are keepers. That was the plan from the beginning. I have 30+ kits, and there are 2 more that I want. Unless they come up with something else I just really like. I don’t buy from the other companies as they are usually much higher in price. Since I don’t sell mine, I don’t feel I can justify the price. Who knows… maybe one day, if I get really good, I will sell some, too.

2 Likes

Im also not a collector, I just like to make them. I did have two reborns that I bought in 2011 after I lost my son. I cuddled them for awhile and then put them up. My daughter still has one but my Shyann I dissected and she is still one of my practice babies…right now Im still learning to paint hair. My daughter has a couple of my reborns…she loves my first baby and I will keep him around even when she doesn’t want him so I guess he’s my only keeper :wink: .
I think for your first baby you shouldn’t worry about all the little realistic details, just work on creating some shading and a nice skin tone. I rooted my first, the hair was terrible and low quality so it sticks up all over but he’s kinda cute like that.

3 Likes

Several of my keepers are from swaps or friends here on bb made for me. I have purchased several from ebay and kept them until I found another I just had to have lol. Serenity is the one I have had the longest I think. Serenity is combo hair

Then Amelia painted hair. Miracle rooted hair, Journey rooted hair. I have several others but no pics on this pc. I collect/keep any kit I like or if something just jumps out at me lol.

8 Likes

I’m the worst! I got into reborning to make myself ONE baby. Then I was like, well, now all the kids need ONE baby… all these years later, Wyn has like 4, Aud still just has her one, and Zoe has like 3. We won’t talk about all the ones in the crib… :joy::joy: But I cant get rid of them!! It’s a sickness…

My current favorite. :0) I just fall in love with their cute little faces and keep them. Lol

11 Likes

Ok after reading all these messages I don’t feel so bad I want to keep them all !! I have done mainly play dolls . But my 4 year old has about 4 and she loves them all and every time I pull a new kit out she has to hold the head and feed it lol … she doesn’t understand that Iam working on a few right now that are gonna have new mommy’s

3 Likes

I have a stash of lle kits and some older manufactured dolls and kits. I have a 201 se face that I’m going to reborn with Libby limbs, a Martha viola head that’s going to have euro berenguer limbs. A ton more. Basically the kit has to speak to me. I have a Bella by Andrea arcello that I’ve had for years. She still melts my heart.

4 Likes

I was not a collector. But now I am. my keepers are all from other artists. They are all very different. And I love them all. :heart:

3 Likes

Lol, that MIGHT be me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I started out wanting to make one for my granddaughter. Now I am hooked! I can’t stop painting them and she wants to keep them all! :blush:

2 Likes

Can I see your Eden? She’s one of my favorite kits. I’m going to focus on a kit I love and try to master the basics. Going in I had a list of all the features I wanted. I’m decent at painting and finally have mottling down sorta. Then there’s creasing. I know what to do, but dirty creases make me strip. The Waterborne paints are great except I hate the creases lol! Thank you everyone. Now I feel normal lol.

1 Like

I’m first to babysit her! She’s gorgeous! Did you paint her? Which limbs did you use? Sorry for the questions but I’m in love with this baby. If you sell her, you know where to find me!

1 Like