My ocd is stealing my fun!

I don’t know why these babies came out so chalky They are making me want to give up. Ugh! I’ve tried adding a bit of satin varnish on the bumpy spots. It has helped some but not enough. I’m not even sure I can give these away. On the other hand my grandkids will be happy and I’m learning as I go I guess. Or fixing to give up ha Doesn’t help that the new iPhones camera shows every blemish either. Apparently my eyes do not see as well as my camera

3 Likes

On the other hand I guess it can add to the dry bumpy baby skin. Trying to find something positive lol

1 Like

Chalkiness is caused by the white in the flesh and by applying it too thick, or it can also be result of the varnish not being baked enough.

4 Likes

Their coloring is great. But like Ludmilla said, try thinner paint. Also try baking at least one more time. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you. I do have to bake it more. I hope it helps

2 Likes

That hair is fantastic!!

2 Likes

Thank you. Prisma color. Was worried it was too overdone. I guess I’m just ridiculously hard on myself

2 Likes

It is bumpy, chalky, you name it. I’m going to just tell myself it is fx lol. My eyes do not pick it up but the camera does. It’s so weird. It’s like ashy baby skin

1 Like

Genesis?

Is it chalky before you varnish?

I personally think your varnish is too thick. What did you apply it with? I apply it to the wedge or sponge and pounce mine on

1 Like

Does your phone have a portrait selling? Try using that! My phone doesn’t have it but I hear it’s great for baby pics :grinning:

That’s how I apply it also. No they weren’t that way before. Maybe baking it will help some I sure hope so. I few people my kids know want to buy one but I feel bad selling if they aren’t perfect

I’m not sure what that is?

Varnish needs to bake at least twice. I bake for 8 or 9 minutes then cool then bake again 8-9 minutes at 265° (My off brand oven settings are a little different so I bake at 275° to reach the right temp inside the oven on my thermometer)

2 Likes

Also the roughness is probably 100% the fault of the Matte Varnish. I mix mine about 70% satin with 30% matte. Then if it has too much sheen after the second bake I will add a layer of air dry varnish mixed with a pinch of cornstarch (to add matte) then pounce it on with a wedge

1 Like

Are you using thinning medium or odorless thinner for thinning the paint? Also are you applying your varnish straight from the jar?

1 Like

Thank you This will help me in the future for sure Good to know it wasn’t all my fault also

I did apply some thinning medium but was afraid to put to much

Are you using your paints from the jar?

No I’m using odorless thinner but maybe not enough. I’m Definitely learning as I go! I’m not sure if I should even try to sell these

I am going to chime in and say Ludmilla is on the money, thin your paint down and if you used varnish give it another bake, I go 170 for 8 minutes.

Another reason could be that you did a flesh layer over a darker wash, sometimes the pigment if it is lighter will appear chalky over a darker color. This has happened to me when I tried to lighten a baby after it came out too dark.

The fix was to do another wash (not flesh colors) and I added a tiny bit of satin varnish to the wash, just a tiny bit and it worked.

Not sure how you did that with pencil but right on, looks great.

1 Like