New polio illness

Heard on the news tonight there is something going around like polio that is hitting kits in 20 states especially age 4. Watch your kids they get where they can’t uses arms or legs get them to the hospital quick. Prayers for everyone kids.

10 Likes

I saw that. Super scary :persevere:

4 Likes

I saw that a few days ago. So scary. We take our kids’ health for granted sometimes. Hard to phathom something like this becoming an epidemic. :confused:

4 Likes

So many years since a dangerous illness with no cure went around people today have no idea.
I was 10 I think when the polio vaccine came in.My mom was petrified every summer because that’s when it usual hit for some reason
The vaccine was a miracle discovery.
It was not an uncommon sight to see a kid with leg braces from it something you rarely see today.
And those were the ones who were left in ok shape from it .Others were in “iron lungs” to breath the rest of their lives.It was really awful.
This. new disease seems to not have permanent effects or maybe I read wrong

7 Likes

My dad always claimed to have polio as a child. (He was born in 53.) He said he had leg braces and couldn’t walk but then was miraculously cured. He was always a big story teller though. So it’s hard to know what was true. He also always said we were direct descendents of William the Conquerer. We took that info like we did everything his drunk self said…as a tall tale. Then a few years ago, we started tracing our family tree. It does go back to William the Conqueror after all. So who knows…maybe he did have polio as a child. But as an adult, there were no signs of it. :wink:

5 Likes

I dont know enough about it but think some did become. Pretty normal later. So it’s possible I guess…Guess it depended on how bad you were affected.

4 Likes

Yup super scary!!!

4 Likes

I saw this in the headlines and it is absolutely terrifying

2 Likes

Pssst. Everyone is related to him. I learned from a genealogy article that if you go back far enough we’re all related to everyone. Like everyone. A thousand years ago, everyone is your ancestor.

1 Like

I’ve heard that too. But most trees aren’t recorded back that far. Most of our branches end documentation about the time they came over to America. But the Fleming branch, my dad’s branch traces way back into lots of royal branches. Yet here I am, sitting here without a tiara to my name. :weary:

3 Likes

True! The gross part? Some of our branches cross many, many times in the same family. That’s a nice way of saying uncle cousins. They say it’s because people stay in one area and marry the same families over and over again. :sweat_smile: Where is your tiara? I want a tiara too!

1 Like

I think it’s linked to vaccines, just because it’s affecting kids in that same age group :frowning:

1 Like

I think that vaccines can play a part in medical issues but not years later. They said the kids were getting sick like the flu so it probably is some kind of illness. Vaccines have their pros and cons. They work and it is not often kids come up with issues although we cannot deny that some children may have been affected by it. There is no perfect thing in life. However, there is a large number of kids with Autism running around in NC. My question is, has anyone questioned the military vaccines and they birthing children. They are pumped with to many things at one time.

Also, there are viruses floating around that have no vaccines at all for them like CMV and it causes severe damage to babies.

I have been reading about it and it makes me a little frantic since I have a child with severe needs at the house. I am not worried about her but the worker I have whose child attends a daycare. Kids spread a lot of germs!!! They also have not released all the places it has popped up in. I think they want to keep it a secret which is frustrating.

1 Like

Ed Roberts had iron lungs and he was the leader of the disability rights movement. He is my hero and would be pissed if he knew how these southern states are treating people with disabilities. He pushed for change, being independent for the severe and profound. When to college with his iron lungs!!! damaged side walks to make little ramps for wheelchairs (YEAH NOT FOR STROLLERS FOR ACCESSIBILITY). The college did not want to do anything so him and some friends busted it up so the school was forced to change the sidewalks.

1 Like

I don’t really think there’s an autism epidemic. I think it’s just been better diagnosed for the past 20 years or so. I see kids now with the diagnosis that act exactly like kids without the diagnosis 25 years ago. Weirdly though, they recently got rid of the Aspergers diagnosis, so I think numbers will go down. My 22 year old was diagnosed with Aspergers when he was 5. One of my 8 year olds has all the classic signs of Aspergers. But since he didn’t have a delay in language, he doesn’t qualify for an autism diagnosis. So…take all the Aspergers kids off the spectrum, and the “epidemic” is over. :thinking:

2 Likes

That is true! But really, where I live there are several kids and we are in a military town, which makes me wonder. Many things were not recognized and I really wish people would take mental health more serious because it is real and medicine isn’t bad sometimes it is necessary. :frowning: My heart breaks when I see kids struggle that I know have an issue but is not getting the help they need.

2 Likes

Still scared of the virus though, lololol

2 Likes

Very scared of this weird new virus. :confused:

3 Likes

Hmmmm. They got rid of the Aspberger’s diagnosis, but they can still be diagnosed on the autism spectrum. My daughter was diagnosed autism spectrum disorder without language delay…

3 Likes

Yeah. My oldest son was diagnosed without a delay in language too. Didn’t make any sense to me. It was a pain to try to get anything figured out with my 8 year old. Even the school teachers and principal think he’s autistic. I asked the doctor for a referral. They sent us to a psychiatrist. Psych had her assistant interview him and me. Only asked questions regarding ADHD. Walked in. Introduced herself and told him he needed medication to slow his brain down. I said nope. That’s not why we are here. We can handle his energy. So can his teachers. So can he. I said we were trying to find out if he had autism or something else. She refused further testing “unless and until” we got his ADHD under control with medicine. We said nope and left. Asked for another referral. They sent us to another psychiatrist. He said he doesn’t see ADHD but “this kid is clearly autistic.” But he said he doesn’t officially diagnose that. Psychologists do. I said we have repeatedly asked to see a psychologist but they keep sending us to psychiatrists instead. So he wrote a referral on his own. Finally we got to the psychologist. She did a more thorough evaluation. Said autistic characteristics are there but because of no language delay she isn’t going to label that. Said he has ADHD (again…duh. We know that and don’t want meds.) said he probably has fetal alcohol syndrome. (His adopted and we know mom did drugs when she was pregnant. Probably alcohol too.) and some signs of oppositional defiant disorder. But he has a conciounce and wants to do right. Kids with ODD don’t want to do right. So he just has signs but not enough for that label (thank goodness.) Suggested ADHD meds. We said nope. So…basically we got nothing figured out. Luckily the school works with his quirks without a label. And nobody at that school wants him on ADHD meds any more than I do. We all agree that he has adhd. But he finds his own ways to calm his body. And they give him time to calm himself. They have 2 recesses along with plenty of wiggle time. They know his quirks and they work with him. So I guess we don’t really need the diagnosis anyway. He’s “Raymond.” That’s the only label he needs. :wink:

3 Likes