NPK dolls - can i reborn them?

Hi! I have a customer that asked if I can reborn and reroot a NPK doll for her. I’ve never done that and never even seen one in person. Does anyone know if I can paint these with genesis and bake them in my oven? Or are they too soft? Will they melt? See pics she sent me. Any help will be great. Thanks!

1 Like

Also…how would I get the existing paint off?

Personally I would NOT do it.
1 - it looks to be an illegal kit sold from China on sites like aliexpress, ebay, amazon…
2 - it is more work than starting on a new kit
3 - if it is an illegal kit and you choose to redo it you put your reputation on the line with legitimate kit sculptors. Some will not work with/associate with anyone who is okay with illegal kits.

Pretty sure they are just vinyl and the mouth was cut open.

The real kit is by Lillian Trigg.

5 Likes

Wow! Thank you for this information. I truly appreciate this and will take your advice. I don’t want to be put in a bad category since I’m starting to get on sculptors’ prototype lists!

5 Likes

Yeah, they’re knockoff ‘reborns’.
From what I’ve seen the rooting is very pluggy. So it would be hard to reroot as well.
I wouldn’t mess with them. Who knows what toxins get released when you bake. The BB kits confirm to certain standards, I doubt the Chinese knockoffs do.

3 Likes

This is a very popular baby. I see her everywhere! I thought they nailed it with such a cute face… but this is stolen too. :scream:

2 Likes

I didnt know that was a stolen baby!!! There are several on ebay.

3 Likes

Several hundred. Lol They are everywhere on there, auction and BIN, plus on every China website like Aliexpress ect. This particular doll is popular.

2 Likes

Ahem…this is the same kit being sold at Dolls By Sandie as a Primary kit and it was said on FB they were not copies. I know Sandie would not knowingly sell a copied doll but I have always heard this one was a copy so I am still confused about it…

https://www.dollsbysandie.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=10578

3 Likes

I have seen that mentioned also and seen several people state that they will not buy from her anymore because of it.

If it was a legitimate kit before sold with a sculpt name and sculptor info, I do not know why it is now sold as a “primary kit” with no sculptor info and a chinese knock off. Seems weird.

1 Like

All great information. Thank you all so much.

1 Like

Why IS she risking her reputation to sell those kits? Two of them right off hand look like Knoops kits. I don’t know who the others are. But Sandie would have to know the sculptors aren’t okay with these knock offs being made. :confused:
https://www.dollsbysandie.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=9

I do not know the details of the primary kits. I have only been in the reborn world for 3 years.

I dont get it. If they are illegal you would think she would not offer them… if they are not illegal (not sure how that would be possible but anyways…) you’d think we would see more info about them.

I think it’s common in China for them to legally be able to use a patent after a certain amount of time. But just because it may be legal there doesn’t mean its ethical. I’m tempted to email Sandie and politely ask how these kits are ethical to her. Maybe there’s more to it than we know. :confused:

2 Likes

Left is the no name baby #12 on dolls by sandie. Right is Elly Knoops little Luca. #12 is $40. Real Luca is $50 at MacPherson. First of all, I bet Knoops doesn’t approve. Second of all, why by the fake when you can get the real deal for only $10

more? :confused:

2 Likes

Maybe new people who don’t know any better looking for a good deal? If no one would have told me it was illegal, I may have purchased these when I first started.

2 Likes