Therapy doll

Eyes open otherwise they may believe the baby died. Closed mouth so they cannot put food into it. Painted hair or bald head so it is washable. The patients truly believe they are real. It is awesome to watch how they talk to them, kiss them. How it can make their day and the day better for their caregiver. Thank you so much for considering making a therapy doll.

7 Likes

I thought they were supposed to have closed eyes and a place to “sleep” as it may be distressing for the person because their baby is always “awake”? Maybe different circumstances call for different things? Forgive me if I am wrong…

2 Likes

This is the article that mentions open eyes. The patients that I watch talk to the eyes. http://www.dollsbysandie.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=10451

3 Likes

when I was doing my practicum in a facility I was bringing the baby…they mostly started to rock the baby, sing, talk…asleep one .
yes, one of the lady told me not to leave her with the baby because she can take a proper care of it…but they enjoy

1 Like

In the home the three therapy babies have open eyes. When it is lunch time the nurses tell the patients that the babies need to take a nap.

2 Likes

Below is a link to the Therapy doll topic on the forum previously.

There was a link to a really nice article from the Rose doll Show.
http://www.roseinternationaldollshow.com/ROSE-CARES.html

4 Likes

I’ve heard that too, good tips! Thank you @Miss_Kitty :slight_smile:

That’s a great idea, I didn’t think of using poly pellets instead of glass! Thank you! :slight_smile:

Thats amazing how beneficial it can be!

Thank you, those are great things to remember!

I’m making this doll for my great aunt who’s been more like a mother to me and my best friend. I believe she’s in the beginning stages. She goes in for her MRI tomorrow and yesterday she seemed really nervous and kept talking about how “crazy” she is. I’m hoping this will bring some comfort to her, I hate seeing her this way.
Thank you for the links! I will be reading those this morning!

3 Likes

I have heard that also!

It is so nice to take the dolls to nursing homes. I took on to a nursing home on Christmas and gave it to a woman who never had visitors and did not have any on Christmas. She took the baby, started rocking back and forth in her chair and sang you are my sunshine to it. The ones I donate have open eyes and no magnets. I always heard that they would panic if the baby never woke up. I donate quite a few through the year. The residents will fight over, hide and do whatever they can to get time with the baby. the more they have the easier for everyone. Most places have a special place for the dolls all set up.

4 Likes

The doll that you gave to the woman at Christmas was an awesome gift, but you also received a gift that remains in your memories.

5 Likes

I understand how your aunt feels. The saddest moment is when the person understands what is happening. Your aunt is in my prayers. Thank you for thinking of your aunt, she will love your doll.

5 Likes

So glad your doll brought her some comfort :slight_smile:️ It always saddens me to think of people in nursing homes that have no visitors, I will have to find one I can make a doll for. Thank you for sharing!

4 Likes

Thank you so much! I appreciate all your help!

1 Like

I’ve been thinking of making a ‘Therapy Doll’ too and donating it to a Nursing home. There is some great information on this post!

3 Likes

What size doll would be best? I know a large doll would be too big so would a 19-20 inch be a good size?

1 Like

It would be great.

1 Like

18-20 inches. 3-3 1/2 pounds. Open eyes. Closed mouth. Bald or painted hair. Dressed in a sleeper and wrapped in a blanket.

2 Likes

Thank you!