To Crease or not to crease that is the question

Ok, we crease to get depth and realism but realistically no one is walking around with blushing and creasing. I get that this is all smoke and mirrors not unlike a make-up tutorial on you tube but I am looking at different babies and noticing that some people crease fingers and toes (between) and some do not. I think both look great, just wondering who does, who doesn’t and why. I am thinking of easing off a little, I hate it when it gets dirty looking or wound looking.

Chime in if you feel moved.

7 Likes

I haven’t been at this for long and I’m sure my creases look pretty dirty but especially between the joined fingers and toes I like to get a good dark crease. When I look at my hands and feet that is what I see. If I don’t get them dark enough on a doll all I can see is molded plastic toy parts proudly waving from the spikes of my drying rack, mocking me for hubris… they are like “nanny nanny boo boo- you can’t make a baby out of us!” And for the most part they’re right :joy:

9 Likes

Yes. I am in the bathtub. With a beer. Lol

12 Likes

You are awesome!

5 Likes

It was a looonnnggg day! :beers:

3 Likes

I’ve been debating this myself. Every time someone posts a WIP pic asking for advice they get “more blush” as a response. But real babies don’t always have rosy cheeks. And as I was doing creases on Liam, I thought about asking my daughter to send me pics of my 17 month old grandson’s creases and hands and feet. I would have asked her, but she was at work. Especially on Liam, I’m thinking about going light with the creases and blushing. Sometimes less is more. :thinking:

5 Likes

I see you have a poopy stool. My daughter has one a swear by that thing.

5 Likes

The squatty potty was the first thing I noticed!!! :laughing:

5 Likes

I couldn’t think of the proper name for it.

2 Likes

I do some creasing as it doesn’t look realistic without it. It’s just some shading you do to make it look like all fingers are seperate instead of one hunk of vinyl.
I usually use a dark red/purple color and go very lightly and blend a lot. Too much and it looks like cuts on the skin.

6 Likes

I do all my creasing and even blushing with panpastels, it prevents creases from looking dirty. I noticed the squaty potty as well…I have one too :wink:
@Katinafleming are you doing Liam now as well? My first toddler…big challenge for me considering how messed up my hands are, its hard to hold those big pieces while painting.

3 Likes

I highly recommend trying one. My mom’s toilets are so high- I’m like, “How do you people even poop?!!”

7 Likes

:joy:

4 Likes

You are totally right…and damn good on you for a bath and a beer my kinda people!

4 Likes

Yes just smoke and mirrors!

I agree about the toilet, lol. In this new house my toilet is too high and I wanted a new one but my Hubby reminded me that when my back hurts I will appreciate a high toilet. I agree and now I’m looking to get a Squatty Potty knock off it is not as wide.

4 Likes

Yes @RebornsbyZebra. Liam the giant is on my table. I think he’s going to be a girl. I’ve done Kenzie twice before. Her head seems bigger, but his limbs are bigger. He seems better proportioned than she is…except his ears. That boy has ears as big as my 8 year olds. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Liam does have huge ears lol But they’re good for earrings if you make her a girl :slight_smile:

6 Likes

His ears remind me of my middle daughters…she was so cute…she doesn’t think so, she still hides her ears :wink: Im making mine a girl as well…cant wait to see yours. I did quite a lot of work on mine today.

3 Likes

I scoffed at first but now I swear by them!

3 Likes

Dammit! Now I need a squaty potty !

4 Likes