Best Oven Thermometers?

I am needing to purchase a new oven thermometer to use in my plain, non-convection oven and interested to find out what type of oven thermometer people are using when baking their baby dolls and how they use it… hanging from the rack, sitting on a cookie sheet etc.

There is the basic 2” oven thermometer that is small and round- Bountiful Baby #3749 - DIAL Oven
Thermometer (50-500 Range) $4.95 each.

But I wonder about digital oven thermometers. I have found a digital thermometer that comes with a special mounting bracket that clips the probe to the wire rack inside the oven, and the LCD display sits outside the oven and is easy read. $24.99 each.

What do you prefer and why?

I prefer the digital thermometers, because they are much more accurate. I got mine on Ebay a couple of years ago for 19.99 If I recall correctly, the shipping was free.

I have never put my oven higher than 200. I know alot of people do 250-278 but I just don’t want to take the chance of melting a kit. 200 has worked wonderfully for me for all the years that genesis paints have been around.

— Begin quote from “robincarrol”

I have never put my oven higher than 200. I know alot of people do 250-278 but I just don’t want to take the chance of melting a kit. 200 has worked wonderfully for me for all the years that genesis paints have been around.

— End quote

I wonder why they say it takes 265 degrees to set the paint if yours sets at 200??

I have no idea Pia but that is the temp I use. I have never had paint wipe off, fade or anything of the sort. I can not afford to mess any of my kits up. Back in the day the dolls and kits were thicker and harder. The vinyl has changed so much. They are softer and thinner than what they used to be. I use paint that is thin so that might be the answer.