Deposits, what’s a fair amount of time for forfeiture?

When you all get a deposit, what’s a fair amount of time for forfeiture? How much time is allowed. I have a customer that paid a deposit in September and the agreement was that she be finished paying the baby off by November 29th. On October 12thbi got a message saying that some one stole her pay card with $600 on it. I told her not to worry about it and to just pay on her next check. I haven’t heard from her since.

Any advice???

I would give until after the holidays. But that’s just me

1 Like

I would contact her and ask about it. I typically set a max holding time when it comes to layaways and deposits & such but I do understand things come up.

2 Likes

You have to set the rules. I would send her email with title “FINAL NOTICE”.
Then I would try to be business like. Something like "As I have not received any further payments, and the due date for final payment (29th November) has passed, I am assuming you are no longer interested in this doll. If you still wish to purchase her, please pay another installment of $X (at least half of what is still owing) within 7 days, and the final payment by x December. Failure to do so makes our agreement void ". Or if you do not want to mess around with her anymore, just say that if final payment is not received within 7 days, you consider the transaction cancelled.

I always relent if somebody comes back with sob story; that is another reason I stay away from customs :slight_smile: But unless you set your rules then it can get messy.

5 Likes

Yes, she wrote in one of the groups that she’s getting twins in two weeks. So I don’t know what to think.

1 Like

I’d do what @ludmila said; give her a final notice.
If she isn’t able to pay that amount, she should have other priorities and shouldn’t be buying a doll.

3 Likes