Genesis to Golden air dry

What is the wetting agent? Is that the matte medium? I use liquitex matte fluid medium to prime. This time I diluted it before putting it on and she was barely sticky. Before I pounced it on straight. How do you control fuzzies?

1 Like

The wetting agent is a surfactant that reduces the surface tension of water…basically it makes it so you can add more liquid without compromising your paint. I use it for very thin washes.

I work under a light and I am constantly on the look out for dust and hair. I use those little disposable eyeliner sticks to pick up hair out of my paint. Its a struggle! LOL

1 Like

I’ve noticed that Melissa’s paint mixtures look much thicker and more opaque than GHSP, which we mix so thin it’s transparent in the bowl. My assumption is that this happens because the mediums are cloudy in appearance until dry (but they dry perfectly clear). So I’m going to try not to be too timid in mixing! Haha

2 Likes

I think it depends on what she is doing because if you watch the video before this last one you will see that she uses very thinned out washes. I used to use thicker paint mixes, even for washes. I started using the Jo Sonja flow medium to get my paint water thin…now I use the wetting agent mixed with distilled water. Like @anjsmiles says, you have to be careful not to put too much wetting agent. From her recipe I can see that she uses less than I do. I just fill up the bottom of the little bottle I have, probably about a tablespoon, and the rest I fill with water. I think my bottle is about 118 ml.

2 Likes

Thanks so much @RebornsbyZebra and @anjsmiles! Do I need gloves with the wetting agent or a mask? I read the sds and it says this is toxic. I don’t want to make anyone sick or kill myself painting a doll.

1 Like

I have not been using gloves or mask. From all I can tell it is only harmful if you inhale the mist and I don’t spray it. It is also an eye irritant. Someone showed me this mask on Amazon though as being a good one if you want to wear one.

3 Likes

I will definitely be buying the respirator. The pink is cute! Thanks so much.

Going back to MGs baby fx, the basic instructions ratio included water. I since tried her advanced recipe and noticed no water. It was extremely thick. I was very apprehensive to use it but did. I had to be extremely careful and probably wouldn’t go that route again. As far as golden goes, if you use the glazing liquid do you have to use the other additives/agents? Because it contains binders, I have been adding water to thin…within limits. I did buy retarder but not really using it.

1 Like

I use the glazing liquid so I don’t need to use as much of the retarder, it works for me but maybe not for everyone.

1 Like

If using Glazing Liquiid that has the binders in it and you can add water to that and paint. I have done it that way too. It just leaves more sheen as it is a satin finish but is nicely translucent. It works well for the thinner washes too.

3 Likes

Can I use that instead of the wetting agent?

You do not have to use the wetting agent at all. I have painted many babies without it.

2 Likes

I like how much I’ve learned asking questions of you. Are you planning to write a tutorial? I’m so happy I don’t have to use the wetting agent too.

1 Like

Just find your own mix that works for you, the wetting agent just helps me get water thin washes its certainly not a requirement :wink:

1 Like

I think Im going to swap out the Gac for the Glazing liquid in my mottling mixes…too much shine with the Gac!..but I love saying that word for some reason LOL

I have a few written tutorials available. None of them use wetting agent. LOL!
They were written for RebornFX paints and the older ones for BabyFX paints but you could use any brand paint and just substitute out the same/similar colors. Instead of using the RebornFX Emulsion in the tutorial to mix the paints just use whatever product you prefer with the ratios that work best for you.
https://lildumplins.webs.com/colorguidesfreetips.htm

3 Likes

Thank you!

For those looking to find some sort of bottle to dispense your distilled water in droplets, I found these today at the Dollar Tree. They are in the kitchen utensils section and called Condiments Bottles. If filled with water as full as they will go it is right at 16 oz. So if you are adding the Golden Wetting Agent to a full bottle I would say to add 7 drops of Wetting Agent and fill the bottle with water just shy of to the rim.

2 Likes

I love dollar tree. I need some glass bottles to store my paint in too between dolls.