Heat dry matt varnish

How thin does the consistancy need to be for the genesis Heat dry matt varnish? and at what stage of the reborning would I do this layer?
Thanks

I usually don’t thin it - just spread a thin layer on my makeup sponge and tap it accross the cheeks, elbows and knees when I’m done with painting to give some texture. I think if you want it thinned, it works best with thinning medium.

It’s normaly used as a first layer spread accross the whole doll for the paint to adhere better to the vinyl. I think it is supposed to be thicker than other layers, an it can be thinned, but I’ve never used it that way.

Also, it is great for removing shine if the doll is overbaked.

Thank you for the advice. I just thought it was for the last coat to take away any shininess.
How does a doll get shiny by being overbaked?

Well, my oven thermostat wasn’t at exactly 130 degrees Celsius, so some of my first dolls caught a little shine before I’ve found the right setting. It happens at higher temperatures, or if the doll is in the oven longer than 10-12 minutes

Sharron, If vinyl seems very slick or I find it isn’t taking paint the way I like I will seal the whole doll before I paint. Usually I use the genesis matte sealer at the very end to seal and protect the paint, give a soft texture, and remove shine.

I have an empty jar they sell here on BB, I put a teaspoon or so of the sealer and the odorless thinner, (I use Mona Lisa) and stir and smash it until it is smooth and the thickness of yogurt. I brush the sealer on the doll thinly and then pounce with a cosmetic sponge that I have trimmed the sharp edges and corners off of. (so there are no harsh lines in the finish) The sealer must me evenly thinned and all extra carefully brushed out of the creases or it well appear white and chalky after baking. Many of us also bake at least 2 times at 265 for 8 to 10 minutes with the parts being allowed to cool in between and turned over for the second bake.

The sealer they are selling now is a new formula and much thinner and smoother. I have heard it doesn’t need quite the thinning as the old formula.

— Begin quote from “Friki”

I usually don’t thin it - just spread a thin layer on my makeup sponge and tap it accross the cheeks, elbows and knees when I’m done with painting to give some texture. I think if you want it thinned, it works best with thinning medium.

It’s normaly used as a first layer spread accross the whole doll for the paint to adhere better to the vinyl. I think it is supposed to be thicker than other layers, an it can be thinned, but I’ve never used it that way.

Also, it is great for removing shine if the doll is overbaked.

— End quote

My Matt Varnish is the consistency of “bees wax”… no way it could be used without thinning it… (I have never used it though - it came with my first “set” of BB paints)…

— Begin quote from “CindyM”

Sharron, If vinyl seems very slick or I find it isn’t taking paint the way I like I will seal the whole doll before I paint. Usually I use the genesis matte sealer at the very end to seal and protect the paint, give a soft texture, and remove shine.

I have an empty jar they sell here on BB, I put a teaspoon or so of the sealer and the odorless thinner, (I use Mona Lisa) and stir and smash it until it is smooth and the thickness of yogurt. I brush the sealer on the doll thinly and then pounce with a cosmetic sponge that I have trimmed the sharp edges and corners off of. (so there are no harsh lines in the finish) The sealer must me evenly thinned and all extra carefully brushed out of the creases or it well appear white and chalky after baking. Many of us also bake at least 2 times at 265 for 8 to 10 minutes with the parts being allowed to cool in between and turned over for the second bake.

The sealer they are selling now is a new formula and much thinner and smoother. I have heard it doesn’t need quite the thinning as the old formula.

— End quote

So the matt sealer does not have to be the same very thin watery consistancy as when using the color paints such as the flesh layers?