How many layers do you do?

While working on my Miranda kit, I started to wonder how many layers you all tend to do on your babies? I feel like I have a ton of work left to do on her, yet I just applied the 49th layer of paint. So, how many do you do (if you’ve ever counted them)? I don’t remember a baby taking this long before :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I was wondering the same thing. I don’t keep count. But it feels like I do 4,652 layers on each doll. :flushed:

1 Like

I do the same as @Sony72. I try to limit my baking if I can…all mottling in several shades…let dry between each one, no baking. Washes or primary complexion colors, I do bake in between. Anything I worry about smudging I have to bake, so when I Prisma pencil the hair and eyebrows, I pencil what I’m happy with and seal each one with thinning medium and bake, but usually it’s only 3-4 times as I use about that many different shades of pencils. Same with painting the hair.The veins and creasing I don’t bake until they are done. I’ve done 4-5 different mottling colors on Ana so far and no baking. I also use powders so I’m creasing with them, equals No baking. Less time consuming. MOST babies I can get done in 5 days. But I only root the eyelashes so far. I’m going to start combination hair with Ana, I think.:thinking:

4 Likes

I didn’t know it would Weaking the vinyl thanks I’m glad to know that

Yeah I just don’t like to chance it. I also keep my temp at 255 and bake longer but a few mins.

I use air dry and easily do 60 or more layers. I actually tallied before. My layers are so thin and I use Luminaire paints.

1 Like

Mine varies with every kit

Some may take 10 layers… others closer to 50. Some vinyl just eats it :wink: Drives me crazy

1 Like

This! I have had some kits that look virtually untouched after 10 layers, it’s maddening.

1 Like

Right?! I can be working on two at the same time, painting them exactly the same. Like right now it’s Landon and Dominic. Dominic started looking alive at about 6 layers. Landon is now on about his 15th layer, just now starting to look good. :grimacing:

1 Like

So are you all just taking about flesh washes or all like creasing, mottling, washes est?

1 Like

Do you varnish the kits first?

1 Like

No I dont. I find the creases and such get dirty looking faster

1 Like

Good point…I suppose the varnish would not be smooth surface to paint on :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank I will remember that!