Pictures please of then and now

Good match,be sure to share when you make it.He is such a beautiful child.

1 Like

Thank you Jean! It is so tempting to buy the kit, but I have to resist until I paint some of what I have… or have a kit destash.

This is my first completed baby. Exactly 2vyears ago today. This is my most recent work. This is the first time I’ve actually sit and looked at some of my first pictures. It’s nice to see the growth.

16 Likes

He’s Adorable!!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Thank you!

That must have been terribly frightening as a child. You appear to have overcome a great deal to be able to teach art to children. I commend you!

Yes, it is difficult, but well worth the challenge. My little one is absolutely brilliant. At 3, he knows his colors (even the odd ones like violet and turquoise), can count to 100 (and can count backward from 20), recognizes and identifies his numbers at random, knows his shapes (including trapezoid, parallelogram, octagon, pentagon, and hexagon), and his alphabet complete with phonetic sounds. He has some word recognition, and can spell a few words. He has perfect pitch when he sings (which he does often) and migrates toward the piano every time we go into our church. We are getting him one in the Spring.

His difficulties now are primarily with eating, speech, and the apparent inability to sense or react to danger. He is learning to eat more things, but his diet still consists of mostly crunch things. We are very fortunate that freeze-dried fruits and vegetables are available because he will eat most of those. He is allergic to milk, so he only drinks almond milk. He will eat peanuts, so that is the source of most of the protein in his diet.

ABA Therapy has helped him tremendously, and he has speech and O/T twice a week. All of that keeps us on the road a lot, but he would never have advanced as far as he has without the therapy.

Unlike many children with autism, he loves to hug and cuddle and meets strangers well. Sometimes a little too well, which horrifies me. Equally horrifying is his inability to sense danger and react appropriately. He is also a runner, so I have to keep a tight grip on him going to and from the car. I have a child harness with a leash that I use when we go to museums and parks. People look at me like I’m the worst person in the world for using it, but it is necessary to keep him safe.

Meltdowns are bad, but fortunately, he usually has only one or two a day, and they don’t usually last more than a few minutes. We have to use baby gates to keep him out of the kitchen and laundry room and to keep him in his room at night. We also had to install latches on most doors in the house, put alarms on the doors and windows, and get cordless blinds for the house. He is frightened by sudden, loud noises - the dog barking, etc. - and has a complete panicked meltdown if he even sees the vacuum cleaner. Consequently, the floors don’t get vacuumed much. Fortunately, we have only hardwood and tile, and he is not afraid of the broom or mop. :grin:

The challenges are tremendous, but they don’t outweigh the rewards. We celebrate the little victories - like learning to use finger paints without gagging or sitting still long enough to listen to a short story. He is making me a better person and I am so thankful and so blessed to be his mommy.

11 Likes

Wonderful story! Thanks for sharing! I have a son with that “no sense of danger,” and he was a runner! We went on a cruise when he was 2 and 1/2, and I put one of those leashes on him! I was terrified he would leap overboard or get lost in crowds at one of the port stops. We do what we must to keep our children safe! So don’t worry what others say or think about the safety harness! Your doing the right thing, in more ways than one! He’s lucky to have you as his mommy.

4 Likes

The:smiling_face_with_three_hearts: heck with what ANYONE says when it comes to your child!!

4 Likes

That sounds like it was such a struggle! I’m so glad you can find solace in your art work. I have a son with ADHD and aspergers, so I do understand the struggle

2 Likes

My latest one…sold over night.

13 Likes

what a stunning young man! you must get stopped all the time!

1 Like

Totally agree! :two_hearts:

1 Like

So sorry so many thoughtless folks look down on safety harnesses. You think enough of your puppy to leash him for his own safety! Why in the world wouldn"t you think more of your child. There is no worse feeling for a parent than to get acidently seperated from your child! The world is not always kind to kids & to pretend there is no danger out there is just plain silly. I lost a 2 yr old at an amusement park-the worst 15 mins of my life. I still get a sick stomach thinking about it & he is now 43 yrs old. Thanks for letting me spout off.

4 Likes

Nice to hear you two cents! :slight_smile:️ I agree with you!

1 Like

Safety harnesses were a huge stigma when I was little. As were Pacifiers holding your baby as long and as often as you wished, feeding on command and breastfeeding in public.

But that was a different world.

Do not ever let someone tell you how to parent. Its none of their business and predators are everywhere. Your child could disappear in the blink of an eye.

When my daughter entered her teen years, she dressed different, wore her hair different and all in all offended my entire family, my friends and coworkers. They loved her personality but kept saying “if this were my child she would never get out the door like that” No it was not trashy, it was mainly goth.
As long as she stayed in her advanced classes, got straight “A"s, did not have a problem with drinking or drugs, her ability to express herself belonged to her.
Even my best bud at work who had a daughter Devon’s age was just shocked at her.”

Until 2 years later when his buttoned up daughter needed a tutor just to graduate, he begged me to ask Devon,

I dont usually share my family. But I KNOW its important to know, your instincts are G_d given. Embrace them.

@2;30 gee … she could be talking about one of my favorite forums … hmmmm…

7 Likes

@dlschuch Thanks, that was Awesome!

1 Like

WOW! She is a beautiful, intelligent, and knowledgeable young woman. I’m not sure I understood all of what she was talking about, but that’s not her fault. She’s amazing and very articulate. And she has some killer ink!!! You should be one proud mama! :grin:

2 Likes

Hey- it happens :wink:

i would rather be overprotective and be proven wrong then do nothing and be proven right,

A few nasty obtrusive comments is far easier to take than your child being taken.

I was in Walmart a week before christmas when suddenly I heard a shrill high pitched scream that bordered on not being heard at all except by dogs.

I ran around the corner to see this beet red faced three year old just terrorized “I cant find my paspaw, (scream) where is my papaw?”
This child knew the drill which at that made things harder because he wasn’t going to go with me or take my hand. He knew stranger danger. But his Papaw was from a different generation.

I squatted down on my aching fat knees and just waiteds with him. I calmly told Papaw how this could have gone very different.

And I am not deserving of any special accolades or back pats for doing what every person SHOULD do.

2 Likes

I am so taken with this child you have no idea.
And it was her who first made me realize something was different about me. Somehow it worked into the conversation when she was 13, that I see everything in video images in my head. I thought everyone did. For instance as I write this I clearly see my front room, her at 13, me talking to her.

She said “I wish I did that, that is so cool”

But that is how autism works. That is how we can do things without being trained or taught. It is exactly the same as the physical time you use in training and experience. But we do it over and over and over in our heads. I put together 100 dolls in my head before I actually made one. It is also the reason we have difficulty with lying. And I am not being moralistic here, because lying is human, and many times even necessary. Like keeping opinions to ourselves, not embarrassing someone, not having to be the one to tell you your spouse is cheating on you, say you are fat, keeping secret birthday surprises or xmas gifts. we can only see what is there, or see what happened in our imagery in our heads. faBricating a new reality is difficult if not impossible without making things worse.

She worked with Jobs, she understood him, she sat on the floor with him barefoot and excited or a darkened room with him lying on the floor sometimes for days with the door closed… She could not have done that had she not lived like that all her life.

I told her from the second she was put in my arms that she was going to be someone very important. She was a pathway for all women.

She wrote most of the codes in our aps we use everyday. She has several patent applications and another one just approved.

She invented this chip placed in her arm that sets everything in her house as she walks in the door. Not sure how that is going actually

What she is speaking about here, and her lightning TEDTalks is about how the technical community (which are as competitive as our reborn community) makes excuses for not sharing, not helping. She goes to third world countries and teaches technology to young people.

She was born to a mother with artistic autism and a father who was a rocket scientist for NASA.
And yes, it took me a while to get used to the “Ink” but she has some really beautiful works of art on her back. The dress she is wearing was designed for her by one of the designers from Project Runway. It is all Javascript code".

She is my Bidibinque, a Sicilian name my mother-in-law called her grandchildren.
. That is why my reborn nursery is called BDBQ
Thank You so much for your comments.As you can see it is something I really love to talk about, just as I love to hear you and other mothers tell me the wonders that your children bring to you. I know many are reading this and rolling their eyes, but I would rather read a hundred stories like this than heAR one mother, like my sister,. say “Quit telling him (her son) that he can get a scholarship and go to college. He is not Devon”. and yes, she said that with him sitting right there. twelve months later she came home and found her not quite 17 year old son hanging from a pipe in the basement.

so yes, lets heAR from all of you how much you love your children grandchildren nieces and nephews, we have all the time in the world to laugh and cry and feel nothing but pride for them.

6 Likes