So discouraged

I know I just started and I think we all love (mostly) how our babies turn out, but I haven’t sold one. :frowning: I though for sure by now I would sell one. I’ve lowered my prices and I know the market is saturated, as I have another business I’ve been in for many yrs and that too is saturated. I have worked my tail off for beans because of it. Should I sell my babies for about 100 or 125 with painted hair to just recoup what I have spent…it kills me to do that :disappointed_relieved: Also, I feel like I’m not seeing any progress with my painting…maybe this isn’t for me? Please let me know because I need some supply money back xoxo

Where are you selling and how many have you completed?

DO NOT feel discouraged! My first few reborns I kept until I had a “showcase” if you will and until I felt confident in my work. I started right off doing customs when I did start to “sell” and tbh did most for under $250. Reborning takes time and practice. You learn with each you complete. I look back at work even a year ago and see improvement.

2 Likes

Just leave them listed and take a break. I wouldn’t sell them for $100 or $125. It’s too low. People might think they’re boo boo babies and they’re not. Don’t give up yet. See if there are any doll shows in your area. They’re really fun and people can experience them hands on.

2 Likes

I sold my 1st 5 babies for cost of supplies only. I figured I was still learning so no one needed to pay for my work itself yet. Kind of like an internship, you don’t get paid while you are learning the job. Anyway, I think by about my 6th and 7th baby I started to mark up for a tiny bit of profit, maybe $25-$50 profit per doll. Then when I tried new things and they didn’t work out well, I again sold for just cost of supplies. Even now days if I make a doll and try something new and don’t like the results, I will sell for less, maybe not just cost anymore but definitely a discount.

2 Likes

Hang in there, sales are low now. I am taking time to stock my nursery, so when things pick up; I will be good to go. Like suggested, don’t underprice your reborns. Lots of time, expenses and efforts go into creating these precious ones. And it costs to ship too, including packing materials , blankets etc. I have not given up, just patiently waiting. Be encouraged

1 Like

The first 5 went to my kids, the 6th was a swap on here. (thanks for letting noobies enter that one :wink: )

I did not even list any to sell until I had made 10.

1 Like

I gave them away for more than a year before I sold any. I did not sell any until I was fairly consistently turning out nice babies. Sometimes they don’t turn out great or I experiment and it goes wrong- these get sold at a discount. My sales have been nice and steady until the past few weeks, then just took a nose dive. Where I sell, not much is selling at all though. Hopefully soon things will pick up.

In the meantime, maybe this is a good time to Spring clean my house and organize my dolly room. Most of the time I’m too busy to do it… or that’s what I tell myself anyway. :smile:

2 Likes

Man… my whole house looks like a disaster. :joy: I hate cleaning, but love the results and the fresh, clean smells from carpet shampooing. Maybe sales will stay slow enough to force me to do this.

2 Likes

Sales are super slow for me. Which makes me nervous as I won’t be able to get my service dog in July/August. But it’s how the market works. Reborns aren’t special anymore. Sadly

Hang on to them until Oct. then try again.

Buy or make a few business cards. Take them and one of your babies when you go out. I’ve sold a few by doing this. It’s fun. Just don’t do it if you’re in a hurry because people will want to see the baby and have questions when they find out it’s not real.

1 Like

Sales are normally slow this time of year.

When I first started, I sold mine for $150 plus shipping just to get my name out there, but that was back when I was selling on Ebay. I don’t list on Ebay any more.

Now I list on reborns.com and put the link on my FB business page.

Don’t give up! If you love this art form, hang in there and ride it out ~ it’ll get better.

How do you create a FB business page?

You can sign in to your regular page and click on settings. Drop down to where it says "create page"
and go from there.

Thanks, is there a charge?

I mostly sell mine from Facebook. I just post pics of the dolls and say this is what I’m working on. People ask how much and since most are local, I meet them for delivery.

1 Like

I second the business page. It’s wonderful and encouraging to share your work. Even when sales are slow like now.

1 Like

You can choose to pay a fee to “boost” your page but I never do.

1 Like

I need to work on creating a business page for sure

1 Like

If you go into making reborns as a business you are in the wrong business. Reborns are fads. They come and go in popularity. If you are in it for the love of the art then you will get pleasure as you see your skills progress. Even the well known artist can not count on the dolls as their income. A lot of artist build a reputation over time and have many repeat customers. I have held onto a doll for two years before it sold. Do not judge your talent on how many dolls you sell. Weather you continue or not should be based on how much joy you get from making them.

5 Likes