Thoughts on entering contests at ROSE?

I’d love to hear about your experiences entering the any of the contests at the ROSE doll show. How has your experience been? I completed a baby recently and am contemplating whether I should enter her or not. I have been reborning for about 1 year and am also not really sure which category. I had originally thought I’d try entering her in the Beginner category but I’m not sure what qualifies as Beginner vs. Intermediate.

What are the pros of entering? Do you win anything besides the trophy or certificate? Any cons to entering? My one con I can think of is that I can’t share this baby on social media or show her off to anyone until after the contest… and it’s really hard not to because I really love this particular baby and how she turned out :slight_smile:

Would love to hear your thoughts and experiences. Thank you!!

2 Likes

You might consider sending some photos in privates messages to members who are not going. People who would be willing to give honest feedback.

1 Like

I do not think any pics can be shown to anyone… not even wip

I entered in Intermediate last year… I had been painting 2 yrs.
Baby cant be bald, at least 1 foot showing, etc. there is a whole list on info on the site…
I think it is a $35 fee to enter…

People are not supposed to touch your entry once you get in set up but last year mine was touched more than once…

@Blissfulbabies won in our category as well as a few other awards, and @colee1970 was 2nd

:heart::heart:

I didn’t place but enjoyed knowing winners :wink: lol

2 Likes

Enter for the pure fun of it. I don’t think it cost anything. You remember how much fun it was to go look at all the entries at the Rose show last year and vote not knowing who you were voting for. And then the awards dinner and having fun seeing people win. 1 year is a beginner I think. I’ll be rooting for you go ahead have fun.

1 Like

Great idea! You know I can’t go this year because of my daughters surgery so message me the picture.

It costs $35 per entry. I had only been reborning 1 year and had only made 9 babies. I entered #8 in Tealborn and #9 was supposed to be beginner. I was told no I had to be in Advanced :flushed: I freaked and said no I can’t so they let me enter intermediate. That year they only gave 1 place so no I didn’t win but I tell myself I made second place. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Last year I entered and won! I’ve never been so excited.
@colee1970 got second. @jlesser should have placed to because her baby was beautiful.

2 Likes

To me 1-2-3 years that’s beginner. I guess I feel this way because in 3 years I’ve only finished 10 Dolls. This is a hobby for me that I love but I know I get better with every one. I wonder what beginner is to them. 35$. Isn’t so bad. It was fun to vote and see the awards. I wonder where the money goes?

Wow, that’s amazing that they thought your baby should be in the advanced category after only 1 year! And congrats on your win last year! There were so many amazingly beautiful dolls that I guess I feel a little intimidated. :slight_smile: But I do think it would be fun.

Good to know that we cannot share photos with anyone, even privately. If I enter, I wouldn’t show this baby to anyone, not even pictures, just in case.

It’s great to hear that everyone has had wonderful experiences, although I don’t like the idea of people touching our dolls… it sounds like it happens even though they’re not supposed to.

3 Likes

I agree it seems like that should qualify as a beginner, but they didn’t state anything about it in the rules section so I wasn’t sure what category would make sense for me.

So sorry to miss you at the show this year Karen! We had fun last year :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I will miss it but I’m hoping to make the one in Kansas.i want one of the kits Aleiana has sculpted though. Maybe they will sell them late.

1 Like

You choose a category at your own discretion. I don’t think years you’ve been painting matters as much as quality. Oh but last year it seemed advanced was filled by mostly prototype artists.

Thanks so much for the info!

1 Like

Hey Izzy…I was told that I have to enter Advanced this year cause I won intermediate last year. Just call me looser :roll_eyes::laughing:

1 Like

Hey Mel, I don’t see any reason why you can’t win the Advanced category too!! You’re good lady!!

4 Likes

I Agree Melanie, your babies are beautiful and so realistic.

2 Likes

Awww…y’all, thanks so much. It’s just a little frightening going up against the big dogs. I never expected to win last year at all.

3 Likes

You’re kidding, right!!! Mel, you’re a reborning STAR!!! Your babies will be collecting awards all over ROSE :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

Oh you should definitely be in advanced for sure! Especially given that you won last year. :wink:

3 Likes

Thank you Karen. I’m not kidding…last year I had an asthma attack when they called my name. Lol.

3 Likes