Vintage NWT gown on eBay

What’s wrong with Catholics? I want to know. I went to Catholic schools and loved them. I love my religion. My whole family and almost everyone I know is Catholic.
Whatever… I’m happy about it. It’s not cool to put down anyone’s religion.

4 Likes

You should search “vintage christening gown” on eBay. There are always lots of beautiful ones on there. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

My husband (common law) is catholic. I find absolutely nothing at all wrong with him. I’m Baptist. He’s Catholic. I know all the talk about being equally yoked. But both of my exhusbands are Baptist. They were both bad people. Personally, it worked much better for me to find a Catholic man. I don’t want to convert. Neither does he. But our core beliefs are exactly the same. We don’t need a common denomination in order to serve the same God. :wink:

3 Likes

My dad’s baptist actually… but my moms family is Catholic so that’s how we were raised. My dad doesn’t really practice, but he does come to Christmas mass with us! :grinning::heart:

3 Likes

I actually have my baptism gown. Its 41 yrs old and its sitting in my safe. I also have my first communion dress :smiley:

6 Likes

I don’t understand why there are so many of them on eBay. You would think they would be a family heirloom, worthy of saving.

3 Likes

Totally!!! @melcurll I’m going to ask my mom if she kept mine!!!

4 Likes

I’m neither, but for baby dedication, I love to make beautiful gowns. Religion doesn’t matter in these things. Just what the person likes. Our grand daughters had gorgeous ones – made by yours truly. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Katina, you are right. It doesn’t matter the name on the church, etc., all that matters is if you follow the Word of God. :slight_smile: That is how I feel about it.

3 Likes

Absolutely gorgeous!

1 Like

I love it!

I think its romantic the way these gowns were made so carefully and most by hand, then handed down for generations. I love traditions but not a fan of religion other than it being interesting historically.

1 Like

I bought the knit gown. It is huge. I may still dye it if I think it will take the color, I am thinking of doing a very pale blush, still thinking about it.

1 Like

The funny thing is that my “Catholic” family all came from Portugal and Spain. They were hard-core Catholic, but the irony is that when I did genetic research I found that we are also Jewish and my aunt and a few other family member lost their minds. I did research and found that in Iberia most people were not just ethnically Jewish but religiously Jewish, they were forced to convert, flee, or die after the inquisition.

You have never seen so much sweating, huffing, puffing, and head-shaking.

I am quite sure I am not going to get the best Christmas presents this year, they are pissed.

I have many beautiful memories of going to church with my mothers family, I felt a lot of comfort falling asleep to latin mass on Christmas eve, the smell of burning candles, flowers, incense. I grew up loving Mary.

I grew up…

I learned about science and history and put things into perspective for myself. I just happen to be a person who likes to think for myself, ask a lot of questions, and challenge “authority”.

My mother wandered through churches, beliefs, faith and religion her whole life. She took us along for the ride. I have been baptized many times in tubs, lakes, rivers, baths, pools. I learned a lot, I am kinda glad she rebelled.

I love tradition, I love community, I love prayer and meditation, but I believe humans have to ask questions and never stop asking questions. Once you stop thinking for yourself, once you give your free will away, once you allow another human to convince you that they have all the answers…holy its just not for me.

I would love to learn Aramaic and Hebrew so I could read the original biblical texts, and the Talmud, and see what they really say without all the revision and translation. I think it would be really interesting.

1 Like

I ended up getting the gown. It is a bit large and aged bright white which means it turned a grey in color instead of yellow, it is in good shape but better in photos than real life.

2 Likes

Here’s my opinion on religion.
I’m not a fan of baptizing babies or young kids. Baby dedication is fine. That’s just parents promising to raise the child in a way that hopefully leads him to the Lord. Baptism should be done once a person is old enough to make that decision on their own. I grew up in the church. I also grew up in a secular world. I’m not brain washed. I am fully capable of knowing what I’m doing. Nobody could ever force me to believe something just because that’s what I’ve always been taught. I can research everything. I can see how others live. I’ve done a lot of that. I still choose Christ.
As for denominations…I’ve been screwed over by Baptists, Methodists, Church of Christs, Catholics, Muslims, Atheists, and all the others. I’ve also been treated really well by people of all those faiths. Religion isn’t the problem, humanity is. There are good and bad among every belief. I choose not to hold it against a whole group when one person acts a certain way. All are human and fall short.

3 Likes

I agree.

I have nothing against religion or people who choose a life in faith, I understand where that comes from and why people seek it. We actually have scientific proof that there is a part of our brain wired for it. If you belong to a community and have shared beliefs, do the same things, work together toward a common goal you were more likely to survive.

What I have a problem with is any person, organization, entity, cult, that puts fear into people to get them to believe in what they want them to. In the little world I created for myself “God” is some kind of amazing force that creates and re-creates itself, in all different ways both random and with purpose. Each of us a tiny speck of this beautiful energyr that holds the universe together in this amazing expanding “everywhere.”

Every time I try to make the idea of “God” small I feel like I am falling into an abyss.

I can find “God” anywhere, in churches, in my backyard, on a mountain top, in an ant crawling across my kitchen counter. I find that essence in every person I meet, good or bad.

Unfortunately faith gets a bad wrap because humans with a little perceived power tend to use that power in awful ways.

In the months leading up to my daughters death she told me “we are all one mom” she showed me her hand and said, “see, all these fingers are their own finger but they belong to one hand and both of these hands belong to me and I am connected to everyone…”

That was the only thing that ever made perfect sense to me.

Thank you for sharing what you believe and how you feel, I think it is important to listen and understand where everyones heart is.

Thank you ladies for an enlightening post. This could have gone badly but it didn’t due to the fact that we all respected each others views. See, there is nothing wrong in listening without going nuts and creating drama. Thanks again for being the “bigger persons”!!

I found it interesting and a little insight into some of our members.

2 Likes

I know religion is no-no but it shouldn’t be, like you said there is so much to learn from each other. Thank you for your kind post, I enjoyed this thread a lot.

1 Like

Me too. I find it refreshing when people are free to speak their piece without recriminations.

1 Like