I got a Knitting loom set

Woman of my word lol @Renauta427 and @Nikkiroc I said I would start my own little post if I got one :smile:
I went against your advise and got a Boye .
The reasons being it was 4 looms instead of one and the cheaper of the ones I saw and if this turns out like my knitting needles I wont care so much if they sit for long periods of time .
Now the one I really think is neat is the one that is elevated and turns however it cost more than I am willing to pay just to try something out .

This is the one I got

It does say you can make hats, booties , scarves and more we shall see lol

7 Likes

Save your receipt. They are very hard to work with. Hobby lobby and Michael’s sells their own brands that are much better for about $12-$14. Check out the videos I told you about on YouTube. Loomahat and Tuteate. Let me know if you have any questions!

4 Likes

The other sets have 4 as well.

2 Likes

I looked at several until I was dizzy looking lol and just went with it I think the hardest part will be getting use to one round item in my hand to work with instead of a needle or hook .

1 Like

I got a similar set! Only made two baby hats so far. I’m not very patient. :rofl:

3 Likes

So what kind did you get ? and pictures wheres the pictures of the hats ? that is what I am going to try for first a baby hat something small lol .
There is a pattern for knitted boot cuffs in the set but I don’t see me making them cute but not my thing I have never been a boot person .

I don’t have any pictures of the hats. Mine just included a tutorial on how to make hats, haha.
Just be sure to get stretchy yarn and don’t pull on it too much. I used stuff that was not stretchy and it was quite difficult to work with.

2 Likes

I love my loom knitters. I only know how to crochet so I bought the looms yo be able to make some knitted items. You will have fun!

2 Likes

I hope so I am used to knitting needles this is a different learning curve lol but thought it would be fun to try and perhaps faster then needles but I am beginning to think probably not :smile:

1 Like

Being that you are already a knitter I don’t know, the loom might feel more limited. Keep us posted.

2 Likes

I would say not even as close to as fast as you could get knitting needles moving.

2 Likes

This is exciting!!! Can’t wait to hear what happens!

1 Like

Okay update time I am going between rooting and looming neither is going very fast :smile: I think you might be right on the speed @quiltsabunch but it is rather fun to work it in the round.
I have got it to the point that it is coming out of the loom a little now and I think I am a very loose loom knitter took a pic of my progress maybe it will be done by time I am through rooting and my baby can wear it LOL .

Perhaps I need bigger yarn

5 Likes

So whats keeping you wade in loom along if I can do it it isn’t hard :smile:

1 Like

Looking great!

1 Like

Have you ever tried to knit with circular needles or double pointed needles?

2 Likes

Yes I have worked with both I am not a fan of the double pointed I always seemed to have the problem of them sliding off one side or the other .
I think with the loom it is just something bigger to grasp rather than the small needles that makes it a bit easier on fingers plus it is something different lol .

1 Like

If you get a chance to try bamboo needles give them a whirl. They are a lot less slippery than metal or plastic so should help with stitches sliding off on their own.

3 Likes

Loom knitting is a fairly mindless task once you get the hang of it. I can complete a nice hat in about a half an hour. It’s a lovely pass time that helps me feel productive while I watch tv! You will probably enjoy it once you get used to it and learn how to make different items with the loom as well. It can getting a bit boring to just make hats after a while.

I have to agree with the others though, the Boye looms are terrible. The yarn gets stuck under the lip making it difficult and time consuming to “loop over.” I believe the brand I use is called knitting board and they’re much better! I got them at Michael’s and used a 40% coupon so they weren’t very pricey. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I must not be doing it right mine hasn’t snagged the yarn yet either that or I am doing it too loose either way it is something to play with and I have seen where there are a lot of the regular knit stitches that can be done with them .

2 Likes