MacPherson Issue

So I just ordered David Kewy from MacPherson (due to the free Canadian shipping, it’s almost cheaper for me to order a kit from them than from Bountiful!) and he came with several black spots on his limbs (photos attached). I sent a ticket to MacPherson and they essentially said “well he was already half price, so you can return him if you want.” Why should I pay return shipping on the kit with black spots on it? They will not come off from washing, and they are bumps on the vinyl. The listing does NOT say anything about the kit being imperfect.

Is this normal? What kind of response have you gotten from them in these situations?

2 Likes

Unless the kit was listed as seconds, I’d expect it to be free from major imperfections. Black spots suck and so do bubbles… I’m having to work around some now. Bought the kit a while ago and didn’t notice until I started painting.

But anyway, are you sure they want you to pay shipping? That doesn’t seem right if you bought a first quality kit regardless of the price.

4 Likes

I haven’t bought from them but have heard good things from others on here perhaps you can contact them and request they pay return postage if you need to return it.

1 Like

No clear response yet to my requests for them to pay return shipping, I’m just repeatedly being told to return the kit if I want a refund “for the kit”, which doesn’t look good. I’ll wait until they’re back in office tomorrow and see if they respond again. This isn’t very promising …

David by Tina Kewy this is the kit I bought, the page I bought from. That doesn’t imply anywhere that he’s seconds quality, does it? Want to make sure I’m not missing something!!

2 Likes

Nope, you are not missing anything. This is supposed to be a first quality kit. Sale price or not, these defects should either be mentioned or not be there.

1 Like

I used to really like Mac’s, and I used to stand up for them even, but I’d say in the last year, I’ve become extremely dissatisfied with their service and only buy from them if they are the only company that has a kit I’m looking for. Interaction is a lot less personal from them now, since they started the ‘fill out a ticket’ for contact, and, honestly, they really don’t seem to care if their customers are happy, anymore. They were offering the kit half price, not a ‘damaged kit’ for half price. They need to rectify the situation and they should be ashamed of themselves with they way they have reacted to your inquiry.

Funny thing, last year, when Penny came out, they accidentally sent one to me, without me paying. Being the honest person that I am, I notified them of their mistake and sent them money. Not a thank you or anything. Not saying I need a pat on the back, but a ‘thank you’ would’ve been nice. IMO, their service has gone to crap and I don’t buy from them unless they are the absolute last option.

5 Likes

Mine was very bad, will never shop there again.

2 Likes

I have bought many kits from Mac’s and NEVER had a problem. I’m sorry for your troubles.

I bought from them Several times . I had issue , mistakes are happening .
Somethimes I am mad as USA people get they are parcel in two days and here in Canada I am always waiting more then one week.
When mistakes happened Brenda made it right . Long time ago even I had questions I could reach them on phone and talked with Brenda . That was when I started reborning .
They are busy . In this case I would only say they may need more people to work with .
Hopefully everything will be fine .

1 Like

That has nothing to do with Mcphersons, that is your Canadian post office problem. Unless mcphrsons give the American orders priority in processing…

My problem was that when I needed kit in hurry, I googled it, and they came up on the top. Wanting it sort of yesterday, I just bought it, and then I got a message they will let me know the postage cost. Week later, nothing. Emailed them explaining I need it ASAP, got an automatic reply that they are busy and will reply soon, another week, and nothing. It was few years ago so I am not hundred percent sure how it all unraveled, but I am pretty sure I had to pay for the kit immediately, so I could not just walk away from it and look elsewhere. I cannot see other reason why I kept waiting. But basically sometime along the way I found out that the prices were in US dollars, which meant it was some 25% more than if it was in Canadian $. In that time there was no mention of that fact on their website. In the end I just bought another one elsewhere, and asked for cancellation.
One of the ladies finally responded, all huffy, and telling my how much hassle it is to give me a quote for postage, as they have to go to the PO with the parcel to find out!!!? Obviously, did not hear of on line postage calculator.

I am not interested to deal with any business that cannot be organized enough to process their orders promptly, provide shipping cost up front, and put in the description honestly any faults. That is imperative for online business.

4 Likes

Black spots are usually impurities in the vinyl, and as you bake it they come to the surface and leave rough deep hole. I have tried to work around these spots several times, and it never ended such a way that I would be happy with it. Even one, with spot made into sort of birthmark on a leg, which I thought was not too bad, ended up sitting on eBay for ages, and only sold after I reduced it to almost nothing. It was very popular kit, which I painted many times, and before and after got snatched up within days of listing.

Maybe Brenda can help you out. @MacPhersonCrafts

2 Likes

I know plenty of people have good service from MacPherson’s but not me. I refuse to buy from them now because of a similar issue to the original poster. They eventually did make it right but not until I sent many emails and was very specific in what I wanted. You need to tell them that you would like a replacement kit ASAP that has been inspected before being sent out and that you will return the defective kit when they arrange for the shipping to be paid for. It seems like their customer service has gone downhill. I see regular posts about them here for one reason or another but always involving lack of communication.

3 Likes

Same here. Everyone talks about their great experiences, but when I order there is some problem. In their defense, it happened a couple of years ago, and only twice (because this is all that my patience would allow before shopping somewhere else). But since it’s been a while, I was thinking of trying to order from them again. They have everything I want! But after reading this thread, I’m going to guess the timing still isn’t quite right. :confused:

3 Likes

MacP’s is usually an excellent place to shop and I personally feel that you are cheating yourself if you don’t buy from them as they have a great inventory and are very nice folks to work with. That said, I feel that they should cover your expenses on a defective kit somehow, even if it to send you a new kit. Perhaps if you call them it would help. They used to be slow shippers, but in the last year that has improved greatly. Brenda is on this forum from time to time. You could try PMing her.

1 Like

Thank goodness I haven’t had any problems with them. My orders come quickly and I have even texted them with annoying questions and they bother to answer. I am blessed to have good ordering experiences so far from every place I have ordered, including Slumberland for mohair. I have to wait for processing but…that’s ok

They are just agents for the sculptor. If there is a faulty kit they should send it back to them, and be reimbursed. I mean having some kits with faults has to be taken into account when making such a thing, and some extras need to be made. If there are many problems the sculptor has to take it up with their factory, or find another factory. Expecting that the reborn artist, who paid a lot of money for the kit, is the one who has to deal with faults, is just ludicrous. Bet the consumer laws would support us.

6 Likes

You just have to stand up for your rights. Although Mcphersons are hardly “big business”, more like a craft store in rural Canada, and it is unlikely to be a goldmine, shopkeepers have to do the right thing by their customers.

2 Likes

Yeah customer service is not a priority.sorry

1 Like

You would think so,theres been several kits i let go because they were the only place to get them.

1 Like