Thanksgiving recipes

Oh, YUM! That sounds delicious. I’m not surprised there’s never any left.

2 Likes

Hugs to you as well. That’s even more difficult, when they past around the holidays. Prayers

1 Like

It’s hard to have exact recipe…after many years of making it, I kinda just have it figured out. I use a muslin bag to put the peas in. You have to leave some room in the bag for the peas to expand. Tie it with string and bring to boil in heavily salted water. Simmer for a couple of hours. When it’s cooked I mix ground pepper and some butter with it

2 Likes

Thanks.

My mom died a few days before thanksgiving right after I had my first son. She never met him, and was going to that Thursday. I’m so sorry you know this pain as well. What helps?

Prayers to you also. I dread the holidays every time.

1 Like

I gotta have collards with my turkey and dressing! I usually cheat and buy the bagged greens because it’s so much easier than washing and chopping, but you do have to pick through and pull the big ribs off. They are best with bacon but you can season with just onions and garlic as well. I’m terrible about following a recipe with anything (dolls, collards, algebra)- usually just eyeball and wing it but roughly-
Fry a few pieces of bacon (3-6 depending how salty you’re feeling) and then set aside. Sauté some chopped onion (probably half of a large yellow onion) in the drippings. You only need enough grease to get the onions softened and to wilt the greens. Wilt the greens a couple of handfuls at a time. A bag and a half will make a large pot. Add a sprinkle or two of brown sugar and a dash of red pepper flakes to the wilted greens and onions. When this has been stirred well and cooked together a couple of minutes add some chicken broth to just cover the top. Bring to a boil. Add more broth and the crumbled bacon and simmer the hell out of it for a couple of hours. So good and now I’m hungry

4 Likes

I’ve never heard of peas pudding but I love split-peas soup. I might have to try this one :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Sounds delicious!

1 Like

Can I do this with mustards? I despise the taste of collards unless smothered in hot sauce. Hey put that torch away!

2 Likes

I imagine it’s up there with yooper pies. Yummy!

1 Like

Ok, I have to know what a yooper pie is? Is that a Yankee thing?
Recipe works with kale, I’ve never tried mustard greens. My second favorite collards recipe involves hot sausage and all the Texas Pete :slight_smile:

1 Like

We had our thanksgiving meal with my husband’s family yesterday. I made mac and cheese but I mixed in bacon bits. And for the topping I tossed together ,crushed cheezit crackers, ranch seasoning and more bacon bits.I then poured a little melted butter over it, then heated it.

2 Likes

You had me at crushed cheez-it crackers!

3 Likes

I also made pumpkin pie, I used the recipe on the Great Value pumpkin can. Next time I’ll use less milk, it took like 20 extra minutes to cook because it was too runny.

Nevermind, I asked Mother Google. Not at all what I imagined but looks tasty

1 Like

Yooper pies are a Cornish and Upper Ypsilanti Michigan meat pie. The people who settled upper Michigan and worked in mines brought this with them. Here’s a picture of them. I’m more a pierogi person but they’re good.

Also Texas Pete is my jam!

2 Likes

Are they served for Thanksgiving?

1 Like

All year long!! They’re fun and tasty with every single meal. Think Spanish hand pies but with English spices. It’s very tasty and filling.

1 Like

I’m trying to tell you that I’ve heard of pierogi but never eaten it but my phone doesn’t speak Yankee and it literally took five minutes to type that word twice. Autocorrect :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::joy:

1 Like